Friday, November 13, 2009

SQL Server 2008 R2 MDS - Microsoft MDM Solution

Played two hours with this on the just released SQL 2008 R2 CTP nov.

Two hours effective work was enough to
- install the product (including reading how to do it),
- installing IIS on Windows 7 (you need a modern advanced OS)
- implementing security
- adding a model (PoC) with a hierarchy
- reading most of the documentation

Books on-line is sparse, so I haven't really done a real walk-through yet. I hope a tutorial is coming soon, or I might post one here (after getting to know the thing better).

Wonder if I can run a hybrid model where I can have some entities work as in the "registry"-model, and some as in the "Central Master Data Repository"-model.

I would like to put all my meta data into this thing, hope it is mature enough.

I went to a couple of sessions on SQL PASS, but they were introductory, can't be many that have experience with this thing.

Anyhow, have a nice day.
G.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Is there anything special that I need to do to install MDS? I did the full R2 install on a Winodws7 laptop. However I can't see the MDS menus anywhere! Any clue on what might be happening?

    Cheers,
    Neel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neel,

    - MDS is a separate install only available on 64-bit.
    - MDS front-end is a web application, much in the same way SharePoint is, so you should (after configure) look for a homepage.

    Hope this helps,
    Gorm

    ReplyDelete